Videos circulating on social media appeared to show a plume of smoke over Moscow’s Kremlin after the purported strike.
Here’s what we know so far …
* The Kremlin said two drones had been used in the alleged attack on Putin’s residence in the walled Kremlin citadel, but had been disabled by electronic defences.
* It said no damage or casualties took place, adding that Putin was not at Kremlin at the time of the attack.
* Russia said it regards these actions as a “planned terrorist act” and an attempt on the president’s life, carried out on the eve of Victory Day, the May 9 Parade, at which the presence of foreign guests is also planned.
* It also threatened retaliatory measures where and when it sees fit.
* Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Putin was working at his residence near Moscow on Wednesday and would still take part in a scheduled WWII Victory Day parade on Red Square next week as planned.
* The statement from the presidential administration said fragments of the drones had been scattered on the territory of the Kremlin complex but there were no casualties or material damage.
* Baza, a Telegram channel with links to Russia’s law enforcement agencies, posted a video showing a flying object approaching the dome of the Kremlin Senate building overlooking Red Square and exploding in an intense burst of light just before reaching it. Reuters could not immediately verify the video’s authenticity.
(With inputs from agencies)