The number of hackers is increasing proportionally with digitization. These hackers are tech-savvy and find every possible way to invade the security of your Linksyssmartwifi network. And, no one wants to compromise with the WiFi network security and this is why we have penned up this article. Here, we will reveal different ways by which you can secure your Linksys router’s WiFi network from potential threats. So, let’s get started.
Different Ways to Secure Linksys WiFi Network
- Change the Default Login Details
Linksys manufactures a number of WiFi devices. Each of them come with a default username and password. These default credentials are known to every second person. And, not to mention that hackers can easily explore and manipulate your personal data using these details.
So, to protect your Linksys WiFi network from potential risks, it is highly recommended to change the default login credentials. But, make sure not to share the login details of your WiFi device with any suspected person. Who knows that he’ll end up accessing your personal information?
- Upgrade the Firmware
If you are a novice, then let us tell you that the firmware controls the overall functionality of your WiFi device. So, keeping the firmware up-to-date is necessary. But, the point that makes firmware update more important is that it adds security features to your Linksys WiFi router.
All in all, it won’t be wrong to mention that upgrading the firmware is one of the most effective methods to protect the Linksys WiFi network from potential threats. Users can update the firmware of their WiFi router by accessing the Linksys router login page. If you are unaware of the firmware update process, here are the do-follow steps:
- Turn on your Linksys WiFi router.
- After assuring that the power LED has turned green, create an Ethernet connection between the Linksys router and the modem. Make sure that the Ethernet cable is free of damages.
- Now, switch on your computer and launch a web browser you prefer.
- Download the Linksys firmware update file and save it at a convenient location on your computer.
- Thereafter, log in to your extender by accessing the web-based setup page.
- Click the Administration section and then the Firmware Update option.
- Locate the firmware file you’ve saved on your computer and click Open after selecting it.
- Click Start Upgrade.
The firmware of your Linksys WiFi router will get updated.
- Disable the SSID Broadcast
Every Linksys WiFi device has an SSID. By connecting to this SSID using the WiFi password, users can access the internet on their client devices. It means that if the SSID is visible to hackers, it won’t be difficult for them to access your Linksys router’s WiFi network. But why worry, when you can hide the SSID of your WiFi network? If your router’s SSID is hidden, no one will be able to see it on the network list. So, minimal risk of your WiFi network from being accessed by unauthorized users.
To hide the SSID of your router, follow the below-mentioned instructions:
- Access the web-based setup page of your Linksys smart WiFi router.
- Perform Linksys smart WiFi login using the default username and password of your WiFi device.
- Once you reach the Linksys router dashboard, click the Wireless tab and select Disabled.
- Lastly, click the Save Settings button.
In this way, you can hide the SSID of your Linksys WiFi router.
Bonus Tip: Have you performed Linksys WiFi extender setup too? Don’t worry! These tips apply to range extenders too. Just access the dashboard of your extender and tweak its settings.
Preventing the WiFi network has become one of the most crucial requirements nowadays. We hope that by following the aforementioned steps you’ll be able to secure your Linksys router’s WiFi network from potential threats.