Who else wants to use a poor-performing Netgear router? Of course, no one! No matter whether the user owns a Netgear R6100 WiFi router or has installed an AC1200 router brought in by the same brand, all he expects is a super-fast internet connection. Being a Netgear owner, you might also be anticipating the same from your router. Worry not! To fulfill your expectations, a few techniques mentioned in this 5-step guide can help you out. Also, do not get bothered if you own a WiFi router from another brand. The tips we’ll discuss here will be universally applicable. However, the default values will alter with respect to the WiFi router you own. Therefore, with the aim and pledge of extracting the best performance from your Netgear WiFi router, let’s get started.
How to Improve Netgear WiFi Router Performance?
1. Choose the Correct Location
The location or an area where your Netgear Nighthawk router sits matters a lot. In fact, 90% of the output delivered by the WiFi router depends upon its location. So, have you placed your Netgear router optimally? Let’s check it out. Know that your router’s location can be considered a good one if it does not house any device emitting electromagnetic frequencies. Especially, microwave ovens, Bluetooth speakers, refrigerators, and televisions. As far as water-carrying objects or lustrous surfaces are concerned, they must also be placed away from the router. This is because water tends to absorb WiFi signals and reflexive surfaces possess the power to deviate the signals.
2. Go with a Non-Damaged LAN Always
If you are one of those persons who love using old things, then you have to change this habit in the case of the Nighthawk router. No, we are not asking you to replace your router but the cable that you’ve used to connect it to the modem. Maybe it is damaged due to old age and that is why you are looking for ways to improve Netgear WiFi router performance. Well, the solution is in the problem itself. Just employ the new LAN cable and let it do the signal transmission job. Your WiFi devices will be able to communicate effectively this way. Apart from this, be certain that the ports of your devices are clean.
3. Never Skip a Firmware Update
Do not act lazy when it comes to performing firmware updates for a Nighthawk router. Almost 90% of users ignore the pending firmware update of the router and end up facing speed and performance-related issues. To make sure that your name comes under the rest of the 10% of users, you should access www.routerlogin.net and update the firmware of the router to its latest version. Just make sure that you are only uploading the firmware file that corresponds to the model number of the router you own. Besides, do not interrupt the firmware update process by doing unnecessary activities like playing games or streaming videos.
4. Add Rebooting to Your To-Do List
Rebooting the WiFi router on a timely basis can work wonders. The reason being, it is one of the finest techniques that help in getting network glitches resolved. Since your Nighthawk device is a part of the technical realm, rebooting can help you improve the Netgear router performance. Thus, wait for nothing and power down your Netgear router. You can also choose to disconnect it from the power plug. Now, let the router rest for 15 minutes. Once done, connect the Power cable back to the socket and switch on your router. Your WiFi router will be rebooted.
5. Cut Off WiFi Leeches
Although this point corresponds to the WiFi router security the most, it plays an important role in improving the performance of your WiFi device. Undoubtedly, cutting off WiFi leeches will result in limited traffic on your home network and hence less speed drops. Therefore, access the router’s BASIC Home screen once again and check if someone is leeching your WiFi. If yes, then do not show mercy in blocking that unauthorized user by identifying its MAC address. The MAC filtering feature of the router will help you do that.
Now, let’s put a full stop to the 5-step guide housing techniques to improve Netgear WiFi router performance. It is expected that you will embrace these tips and make the most of your home network in the future.